Juan I. Padrón Peña is a qualified chemistry graduate from the University of Laguna, Tenerife (specialising in Organic Chemistry) and obtained his PhD from the same university with the stereochemical study of saccharides. He completed his training with a two-year post-doctoral stay at Columbia University (USA), working with Prof. Samuel Danishefsky on the development of new synthetic methodologies and the synthesis of Natural Products. He has initiated a line of research within the Institute of Natural Products and Agrobiology based on sustainable metal catalysis and focused on the development of new methodologies with application in organic synthesis. Within more environmentally friendly processes, his research group has developed direct methodologies for the synthesis of oxa- and aza cycles of various sizes. These heterocycles have been achieved by using Prins cycling as a central reaction and Fe(III) salts as a sustainable metal catalyst. Subsequently, the developed methodologies are applied both in the synthesis of natural products and in analogues of these with possible biological activity. The medium/long term scientific objectives are focused on the development of methodology for the synthesis of oxa- and aza cycles of medium size (eight and nine members) through direct and highly efficient processes that generate products with high added value. On the other hand, the methodology developed is being applied to the synthesis of bicycles or tricycles present in natural products, specifically marine toxins. These compounds will allow an approach to biological problems in which they are involved, such as the case of ciguatera.
Sustainable metal catalysis, development of new methodologies, synthesis of oxa- and azacycles, synthesis of natural products
- Degree in Chemistry (Organic Chemistry), Universidad de La Laguna (1990)
- PhD in Chemistry, University of La Laguna (1995)
- Scientific Researcher at CSIC (2020)
- Senior Scientist at CSIC (2008-2020)
- Contract researcher under the Ramón y Cajal Programme, Universidad de La Laguna (2004-2008)
- Associate Professor at the Universidad de La Laguna (2002-2004)
- Researcher, "Antonio González" University Institute of Bio-Organics, Universidad de La Laguna (2000-2002)
- Contract IDE-PACTI-IPNA (CSIC) (1998-1999)
- Researcher, "Antonio González" University Institute of Bio-Organics, Universidad de La Laguna (1997-1998)
- Postdoctoral stay. Ministry of Education scholarship. Chemistry Department, Columbia University (USA) (1996-1997).
- Pre-doctoral scholarship FPI, Universidad de La Laguna (1994-1995)
- Member of the Spanish Royal Society of Chemistry (RSEQ)
- Accredited as a contracted doctorate lecturer by the ANECA agency (2003)
- Member of the Governing Board of the Specialised Organic Chemistry Group of the Spanish Royal Society of Chemistry (RSEQ) (2016-2020)
- Member of the academic committee for the PhD programme in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering at the University of La Laguna (2016-2018).
- President of the local organizing committee of the final meeting of the COST action CM1407 "Challenging organic syntheses inspired by nature-from natural products chemistry to drug discovery", La Laguna, Tenerife, Dec-2018.
- First Deputy Director of the Institute of Natural Products and Agrobiology of CSIC. (2016-2020)
- Director of the Institute of Natural Products and Agrobiology of the CSIC. (2020-present)