Since the beginning of my scientific career, my interests have been focused on the study of the radical chemistry centered on oxygen, nitrogen and carbon atoms, and their application for the preparation of Natural Products and synthetic derivatives of interest. As a result of this study I have gained extensive experience in the generation, manipulation and evolution of radical species to give intramolecular hydrogen atom transfer processes, β-fragmentation or addition to unsaturated systems, as well as in the domain of carbohydrate transformations. In view of the evolution of Organic Chemistry towards the use of more sustainable synthetic methodologies, my most recent lines focus on the use of photoredox catalysis to carry out selective C-H functionalizations in remote positions.
Radical chemistry, photochemistry, C-H functionalizations, carbohydrates.
- Bachelor of Chemical Sciences, University of La Laguna (1993-1998)
- PhD in Organic Chemistry, University of La Laguna (1999-2003)
- Tenured Scientist, CSIC (2009-present)
- Post-doctoral reincorporation contract I3P, IPNA (2006-2008)
- Post-doctoral fellow of MECD, École Polytechnique, Paris (2004-2006)
- Pre-doctoral fellow of CSIC, IPNA (1999-2003)
- Second Deputy Director of the Institute of Natural Products and Agrobiology of the CSIC (2020-present).