After carrying out my PhD thesis at the then Institute of Organic Natural Products (IPNO/CSIC) on organoselenium chemistry, under the direction of Professor E. Suárez, I worked during the postdoc with Professor K.C. Nicolaou, synthesising anticancer analogues of endiines, and with Professor H. Rapoport on the synthesis of antiviral analogues of Sinefungin.
Since I joined the Institute of Natural Products and Agrobiology (IPNA/CSIC), I have focused my interest on the development of effective and environmentally compatible radical-based methodologies for the synthesis of potentially bioactive analogues of natural products.
I am currently responsible for a research line that modifies carbohydrates by photochemical TIH reactions promoted by 1,2-dicarbonyl systems photoexcited exclusively by visible light, in the absence of any catalyst or additive.
Organic Synthesis, Synthesis Methodology, Free Radicals, Photochemistry, Intramolecular Hydrogen Transfer (IHT), b-Fragmentation.
- PhD in Chemical Sciences, University of La Laguna (1989).
- Master's Degree, University of La Laguna (1985).
- Degree in Chemical Sciences, speciality Organic Chemistry, University of La Laguna (1984).
- Senior Scientist at CSIC, IPNA/CSIC (1992-present).
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Reincorporation in Spain, IPNA/CSIC (1991-1992).
- Fulbright Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Berkeley, USA (1990-1991).
- Fulbright Postdoctoral Fellow, the Scripps Research Institute, USA (1989-1990).
- FPI predoctoral fellow, IPNO/CSIC (1985-1989).
- Postgraduate fellow, Cabildo de Tenerife, IPNO/CSIC (1984-1985).
- Director of the Department of Natural Product Synthesis (2016-2020).
- Committee Member of R&D&I Intermediation Organizations Network in the Canary Islands (RED VALORA) (2008-2010).
- Scientific Manager of the General Warehouse Service at the IPNA-CSIC (2003-2020).
- Staff Representative on the IPNA Governing Board (2001-2005 and 2006-2009).
- Member of the Spanish Royal Society of Chemistry (RSEQ).