My speciality is Atmospheric Sciences. I focus on two research objectives:
O1. Atmospheric composition, aerosols and climate. Studying the influence of man and natural processes on the composition of the atmosphere, especially the content and properties of atmospheric aerosols that influence biogeochemical processes and climate.
O2. Aerosols and air quality. The development of methodologies to improve air quality monitoring techniques and identify sources of pollutants and their impacts. This includes knowledge transfer to air quality managers and collaboration with doctors working in the emergency services of the national health system.
I am interested in understanding how the composition of the atmosphere is changing due to human action, and what its implications are for air quality and the biogeochemical processes that affect ecosystems and climate.
Some of the lines I am working on:
- Variability in desert dust haze and meteorological processes
- Transport in atmospheric aerosols of trace elements essential for life
- Background contamination in remote locations
- Impact of desert dust on heart disease
- Ultra-fine particles and black carbon in urban environments
- Chemical composition and physical properties of aerosols
- Degree in Physics from the University of La Laguna (1997)
- PhD from the - Polytechnic University of Catalonia - Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (2003)
- Researcher in the Spanish Scientific Research Council –CSIC, at the Institute of Natural Products and Agrobiology - IPNA, Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain (since 2021)
- Researcher in the CSIC, at the Arid Zones Experimental Station - EEZA, Almería, Spain (2018-2021)
- Researcher in the Spanish State Meteorological Agency -AEMET- at the Izaña Atmospheric Research Centre, Tenerife (2010-2018)
- Ramón y Cajal funded researcher at the University of Huelva, Spain (2006-2010)
- Postdoctoral researcher at the Natural Environmental Research Council - NERC- of the United Kingdom, Keyworth (2003-2005)
- Postdoctoral researcher at the Climate Change Unit of the Joint Research Centre -JRC- of the European Commission, Ispra, Italy (2003-2004)
- Pre-doctoral researcher FPI at the Jaume Almera Earth Science Institute - CSIC, Barcelona (1999-2002)