The Institutional Delegation of the CSIC in the Canary Islands
The Institutional Delegation of the CSIC in the Canary Islands, under the Vice-presidency of Organization and Institutional Relations, holds the institutional representation of the CSIC in the region.
The Delegation is located in San Cristóbal de La Laguna, at the headquarters of the Institute of Natural Products and Agrobiology. Its institutional coordinator is the liaison and interlocutor of the CSIC with public and private institutions of the region.
Currently, the Institutional Delegation of the CSIC in the Canary Islands is directed by Dr. Manuel Nogales Hidalgo, who has held the position since 28 September 2016.
The mission of the Institute is to coordinate and strengthen the relations between the CSIC and the different institutions and entities, both public and private, in the Canary Islands, a region characterised by the fragmentation of its territory and its geographical isolation.
One of the tasks of the Delegation is the dissemination and communication of science, as well as informing society about the activities carried out by the CSIC in the Canary Islands through the organisation of dissemination activities.
Likewise, it is important to highlight the work that is being carried out in terms of knowledge transfer, providing cutting-edge scientific-technological capabilities at the service of all socio-economic sectors, and especially to small and medium-sized companies on the islands, with the aim of improving their competitiveness.
The final objective is to ensure that the research carried out by the IPNA is transformed into social, economic and cultural well-being.
Among the main functions of the Delegate we find the institutional representation of the CSIC in the Autonomous Community, namely:
- Liaison with the institutions of the Regional Government, the seven Cabildos (island authorities), the two universities, as well as the different research bodies, social entities, etc.
- The negotiation of collaboration agreements for the promotion and support of the IPNA's research and training objectives.
- Coordination of scientific culture, communication and knowledge transfer activities developed or promoted by the Delegation.
The CSIC, through its Delegation in the Canary Islands, is currently represented, among others, in:
- Plan de Prevención de Riesgos Volcánicos de Canarias (PVOLCA). Patronatos de los diferentes parques nacionales de Canarias (P.N. del Teide-Tenerife, P.N. de la Caldera de Taburiente - La Palma, P.N. de Garajonay - La Gomera y P.N. de Timanfaya - Lanzarote).
- Comisiones de Medio Terrestre y Divulgación del Observatorio Canario del Cambio Climático, Gobierno de Canarias.
Mercedes C. Gil Estévez
Tlf: 922260190 – ext 292